General Tax Information
- IRS Tax Forms and Publications: 1-800-829-3676
- Federal Tax Questions: 1-800-829-1040 and assistance 1-844-545-5640
- Refund Information: 1-800-829-4477
- Hearing-Impaired Tax Assistance (TTY): 1-800-829-4059
Federal Forms may be obtained at:
Internal Revenue Service
210 Walnut Street #447
Des Moines, Iowa 50309
- Office Hours: check website for up-to-date information
- Phone: 515-564-6618
- Make an appointment: 844-545-5640
- Visitors to the Federal Building will not be admitted unless they present proper identification.
State Forms may be obtained at:
Iowa Department of Revenue
Hoover State Office Building – #3000
1305 E Walnut St.
Des Moines, Iowa 50319
- 8 am – 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday
- check website for up-to-date information
Tax Preparation Assistance
AARP Tax Aide Foundation
The AARP Tax Aide Foundation offers free tax preparation for low- to moderate-income taxpayers – especially those 50 and older. There’s no fee and AARP membership is not required. They do not take reservations.
VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance)
Individuals and families with a combined income under $58,000 in one year qualify to receive free tax preparation. VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) is a free service offered through United Way of Central Iowa. The VITA sites will open January 22, 2019.